
...yes, that is what it is. In the corner of the garage. Waiting for me. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday's. Knowing that for 42 minutes on each of those days that it will have me. I will belong to it. I will be on it. Suffering.
I guess I make it sound much worse than it is. Actually, being on the treadmill is not bad...in fact I enjoy it. Once I am on it. Getting on it is an entirely different story. It is painfull. Knowing as soon as my eyes open that I am to be on it. The popping of the morning drugs first. The popping of the morning supplements first. The morning sit down on the throne first. The pre-treadmill running stretching first. Ugh, life is full of firsts....I just like to get down to it.
When you reach your mid forties, many of us get on the fitness thing. I have been with the program for 9 years now, albiet off and on. From 2002 through 2006 I was pretty dedicated, 3 to 4 days a week of cardio. 04-06 it was cardio and weights, with some time with a trainer slipped in. It was a good feeling. Great to do when I woke up in the morning, or later on, during my lunch breaks at work.
Now though, the body just does not react well until I get on the mill. The aches and pains of the morning are getting much worse. Getting up is not just hopping out of bed anymore, it is just something to do because it has to be done. Thus, getting on the mill is the most painfull experiance of all.
Once on the mill I am relaxed. Many people listen to their "Ipod's" or other mp3 devices, but I dont listen to mine. I get to thinking about life....finding new employment....lost loves...family....what book I am reading....the Rays...etc.... It is more of a "think tank" experiance for me.
It is also a must for the health. I am diabetic, type 2. My metabolism has to be "up" or I can not do some things I really enjoy doing...such as eating shit food and drinking beer. So, the treadmill gives me the POWER to tell myself thatI am physically able to do those things.
In a weird sort of way, the treadmill is my friend. It is always there. Waiting for me in the hot garage. It only wants the best for my health and well being. It never "cancels" on me. It never "scolds" me. It is one thing I can count on.....every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

No comments:
Post a Comment